Illuminate with Elegance by Installing a Chandelier
Chandeliers are the most impressive lighting fixtures that homeowners can install. They can offer an exciting introduction to your home in the entryway, sparkle as you and your guests gather in the dining room, or serenely adorn a luxury bathroom as you bathe. The following is an overview and guide to a chandelier installation.
Installation & Weight
The weight of the chandelier will play a big factor. The existing mounting hardware may be adequate, but the majority of standard electrical boxes have a maximum 50-pound maximum load rating. A new support framework will be necessary for those weighing more.
The selection of the chandelier and the location where it will be mounted will be your first decisions. Below are the ABCs setting forth the three most important factors for selecting a chandelier:
- The height of the ceiling and the size of the room: Areas that are larger and taller will need chandeliers of greater proportion.
- The object beneath the fixture: For example, a chandelier must not overwhelm a dining table or coffee table. The measurement from the top of the table to the ceiling must play a part in the selection of the light fixture, which should hang from 28 to 32 inches above.
- The chandelier’s shape: Interestingly, chandeliers that are lighter with an open design are perceived to be larger. An ideal choice would be a chandelier that has the proper proportions for the size of the room, acts as the focal point, and complements rather than dominates the space.
The installation of a large, elaborate chandelier will typically require a licensed electrician and will take about two hours for normal spaces. Request an itemized estimate before proceeding. Take note what the project will include in terms of materials and labor. The costs will vary, and two big factors will be the height of the ceiling and the size of the chandelier. Aside from the cost of the chandelier, expect to pay several hundred dollars for an installation.
Electrical Peace of Mind
Providing professional electricians since 1988 in Maryland, Cook Electric is the company you can rely on for all your electrical service needs, including:
- Commercial & Residential Electrical Installations
- Marina & Residential Pier Wiring
- Electrical Service & Repair
- Specialty Electrical Services
For knowledgeable, fair, honest, reliable, and conscientious service, call Cook Electric today at 410-266-9040. They will be very glad to help you.