Improve Your Home’s Ventilation for Healthier Air – Part 2
As discussed in Part 1, studies have shown that poor air quality inside a home can harm the health of residents. Part 2 will discuss Choosing Your Home’s Ventilation System, which will cover the three main types of home ventilation systems.
Choosing Your Home’s Ventilation System
1) Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR) – Typically, an MVHR system provides ventilation for the whole home. It processes the stale air of a home’s interior, then using a heat exchanger, recovers heat that would normally be lost, then vents it to the exterior of the home. The energy recovered is used for pre-warming air drawn from the outside, which is filtered and circulated.
2) Decentralized Mechanical Extract Ventilation (dMEV) – This system is especially effective for highly-insulated homes because it is quiet and unobtrusive. It features a perpetually running fan for removing moist air, which may lead to condensation and mold. Fresh clean air is then provided for circulation.
3) Intermittent Extractor Fans – Quite commonly used for kitchens, bathrooms, and windowless rooms. Featuring automatic or manual modes, it utilizes humidity and motion sensors to be activated. There are two types commonly used as listed below.
- Axial Fans – Ideal for window and through-the-wall applications.
- Centrifugal & Mixed Flow Fan – They are best suited for ducted installations and are powerful and quiet.
Summary of Benefits
A home ventilation system not only promotes a healthier environment, it cools the interior environment. This is done by reducing the presence of moisture, which can result in the creation of harmful mold spores. Studies have found mold can potentially aggravate respiratory and skin conditions.
The majority of home ventilation systems come with user-friendly control features. By utilizing exterior air, they make ventilation more economical. The installation of an effective home ventilation system will increase the comfort of your home by making the interior temperatures and levels of humidity more consistent and controllable.
Electrical Peace of Mind
Providing professional electricians since 1988 in Maryland, Cook Electric is the company you can rely on for all your electrical service needs, including:
- Commercial & Residential Electrical Installations
- Marina & Residential Pier Wiring
- Electrical Service & Repair
- Specialty Electrical Services
For knowledgeable, fair, honest, reliable, and conscientious service, call Cook Electric today at (410) 266-9040. We will be very glad to help you.