Make May Your Home’s Electrical Safety Month
Every day electricity plays a significant part in our lives, but are we using it safely? Our homes are being airconditioned or heated, we are getting entertained by the TV or stereo, our loved ones are cooking or making coffee, and our teens are charging up their cell phones. All these activities require electricity.
May is Electrical Safety Month and we need to study a little at the University of Electricity to be reminded that getting all your appliances and electronics powered also brings potential hazards to your home and family.
Homes today have much greater electrical needs than the households of yesteryear. This increases the danger of electrical fire, so homeowners need to ensure their fixtures and electrical panel can safely handle modern loads.
Research from the ESFI (Electrical Safety Foundation International) has found that home electrical fires number approximately 51,000 annually, causing more than 500 fatalities, 1,400 injuries, and property damages totaling $1.3 billion.
Electrical Safety Month Basics
Sponsored by the ESFI, National Electrical Safety Month strives to raise public awareness regarding electrical safety every May. People who have a fundamental knowledge of electrical safety best practices for their homes will be more capable in ensuring the safety of their families. Electrical safety should be prioritized by every homeowner to protect their property and every resident.
Below are some shocking statistics compiled from the ESFI database regarding residential electrical fires in the United States:
- 65% of fatalities from residential fires were caused by faulty smoke detectors.
- Every year approximately 3,300 home fires can be attributed to extension cords, leading to 50 deaths and 270 injuries.
- The CPSC (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) discovered that electrical outlets are involved in more than 5,300 fires annually, resulting in more than 40 deaths and 100 injuries.
- The third top cause of home fires is electrical distribution systems.
FYI: ESFI National Electric Safety Month
Electrical Peace of Mind
Providing professional electricians since 1988 in Maryland, Cook Electric is the company you can rely on for all your electrical service needs, including:
- Commercial & Residential Electrical Installations
- Marina & Residential Pier Wiring
- Electrical Service & Repair
- Specialty Electrical Services
For knowledgeable, fair, honest, reliable, and conscientious service, call Cook Electric today at (410) 266-9040. We will be very glad to help you