Most people do not know that electrical surges continuously happen at home. Every time you turn on a large appliance such as a dishwasher or air conditioner, a small electrical surge is sent back to your home’s electrical system. Surges can also penetrate and damage your home’s electrical system through cable TV, power supplies, and telephone lines. Fortunately, there is an effective solution.
Whole-home surge protectors are designed to cover a home’s wiring and every electrically-powered device. In addition, the protection it provides lasts much longer than the service life of a typical power strip. Professionally installed surge protection for your home will protect expensive electrical equipment like appliances, computers and their peripherals, and entertainment system components.
Basics of Whole-Home Surge Protection
The power strips we use provide surge protection, which is only part of what a complete home system would provide. Typical power strips contain a strip of metal that absorbs the surge until it finally wears out. This can happen in a short amount of time. A power strip can only protect devices that are plugged into their outlets. Offering far greater protection, a house-wide surge protector can cover the entire house and shield it from surges from the interior and exterior of a home.
Expensive electronic devices like computers and HDTVs are not the only items vulnerable to damaging power surges. Kitchen appliances, security systems, thermostats, and all other devices containing a circuit board can be damaged by power surges. Considering the great expense to replace these items, having whole-home surge protection provides great value.
Although the majority of people think surges are only caused by lightning or power utility problems, they actually occur quite frequently and originate from inside the home. Micro surges commonly come from high-wattage appliances, such as trash compactors, hair dryers, HVAC systems, microwaves, and space heaters.
A home that is not equipped with whole-home surge protection may suffer from frequent micro surges. Over time, the cumulative effect can result in seriously damaging expensive electrical equipment. An older house is typically more vulnerable to micro power surges. This will certainly be the case if it still has its original electrical system, which will be equipped with an outdated electrical panel and wiring.
Electrical Peace of Mind
Providing professional electricians since 1988 in Maryland, Cook Electric is the company you can rely on for all your electrical service needs. For knowledgeable, fair, honest, reliable, and conscientious service, call Cook Electric today at (410) 266-9040. We will be very glad to help you.