As found by a study of the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), electrical fires are one of the five leading causes of fires in commercial buildings. In addition, fires that were started by electricity were responsible for more damage than other causes.
Business owners and commercial property owners should use education as a tool for protecting people and property. Imparting knowledge regarding best practices when electricity is being used is one of the most effective ways for improving electrical safety. An ongoing training program for employees or tenants can significantly reduce occurrences of electrical fires and save lives.
The initial step is to create and schedule an electrical safety program with the help of professionals. Regular training and mandatory guidelines should be required for every employee who works with or near electricity. The following are the most important topics that should be included in documentation provided to those participating.
- Identification of safety hazards
- The safe distance to keep from electrical conductors that are exposed
- Proper practices for working in wet locations that contain electricity
- Applicable OSHA rules for the workplace
- OSHA penalties for noncompliance
Electrical fires in commercial buildings often arise from issues involving appliances and equipment. Other common causes involve light fixtures, light bulbs, lamps, as well as faulty wiring.
Proper Equipment Use and Maintenance
Employees involved with using electricity for their tasks should undergo an educational program that provides knowledge regarding the correct methods for utilizing and maintaining their equipment. This will help decrease the risk of an electrical fire in the workplace. Below are safety tips for commercial buildings.
- Electrical cords and plugs require regular checkups and maintenance.
- Electrical equipment, including computers, TVs, and microwaves, should be serviced only by professionals.
- Equipment must only be unplugged by grasping and pulling the power plug, never by pulling the electrical cord.
- Extension cord usage should only be temporary.
- Never nail or staple extension cords onto walls or floors.
- Retain an experienced and licensed electrician for testing connections and wiring at your commercial building.
Electrical Peace of Mind
Providing professional electricians since 1988 in Maryland, Cook Electric is the company you can rely on for all your electrical service needs, including:
- Commercial & Residential Electrical Installations
- Marina & Residential Pier Wiring
- Electrical Service & Repair
- Specialty Electrical Services
For knowledgeable, fair, honest, reliable, and conscientious service, call Cook Electric today at (410) 266-9040. We will be very glad to help you.